The Certification of Student Welders
This program trains and qualifies welding instructors on visual weld inspection and welder qualification testing according to applicable welding standards. Participants will obtain proper qualification and certification to witness welder qualification testing, visual inspection of test weldments and subsequent destructive testing of welded coupons.
Candidates for this program must be teachers employed by a state funded educational institution with direct responsibilities involving the delivery of welding education. Teachers, regardless of experience, education or industry credentials, must attend a 24 hour welding examiner training course and complete the three associated examinations.
- *API 1104 Pipeline Welding Code
- *ASNT Level IIr VT
- AWS D1.1 Structural Steel Weld Code
- AWS D9.1 Sheet Metal Welding Code
- *AWS SENSE Level 1 or 2
- *AWS QC-7 Certified Welder (CW)
- *Oxy-Fuel Torch Operator
* Requires additional training and testing
Steps to begin:
- Attend a three day training session passing all associated exams- (Dates posted on this website)
- Conduct welder testing according to the most recent version of lesson plans on this website
- Fill out the newest version of the welder qualification application form found on this website
- Remain actively engaged by annually testing or attending training
- The lesson plans and application forms may be obtained on his website using the appropriate passcode assigned during training.
- Welder qualification/certification documentation are tracked on this website using the student ID number assigned during testing.
Required Information: (If any of the following information is missing, the application will be rejected)
- Student name and school ID number or similar number with at least 5 digits
- School name and mailing address if this is where correspondence is to be sent
- Test witness name (instructor) and contact information
- Test position, welding process and code to which testing was done. For groove indicate with or without backing. For fillet indicate with single pass or multi-pass.
- Indicate the welding test date which must be within 6 months of the date in which welder qualification test info is submitted.
- Indication the number of the lesson plan used during testing.